Buildroot overrides in Rawhide, was: GDBM upgrade in F17

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 21 14:52:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:01:10 +0200
Nils Philippsen <nils at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 13:53 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Dne 21.9.2011 13:45, Honza Horak napsal(a):
> > > I understand that buildroot override in bodhi works for f16 and
> > > lower only, am I wrong? I wanted to create a new target to make
> > > it safe, but after a discussion with rel-engs it appears to be
> > > too big hammer for such a few of packages. A temporary perl built
> > > without gdbm seems to be fine enough for this purpose.
> > >
> > > Honza
>
> It seems that you're right, I got this when I tried to submit a
> buildroot override for the current Rawhide dcraw package:
>
> Error: Could not determine release for dcraw-9.10-1.fc17 with tags
> ['f17']
>
> It's unclear to me why this would need to be the case. Creating a
> build root for what we perceive as Rawhide should be just the same as

Bodhi doesn't create buildroots. It just allows you to override the
process on non rawhide branches and get a package into the koji
buildroot before it normally would be.

There's only one buildroot for each build target... ie, rawhide, f16,
f15, f14, f15-gnome, etc.

> > Its strange to me. There are concerns to have Rawhide usable but at
> > the end, if somebody wants to prevents problems using dedicated
> > build root, it is denied by Rel-Engs, because it is probably to
> > much work. This is disappointing.

Every target added that has a buildroot that must be generated means
more overhead for koji. It has to populate and createrepo the
buildroots a lot. Doing more means that other ones have to wait.

> It shouldn't really involve rel-eng at all, Bodhi buildroot overrides
> should just do this as it does with branched releases.

I don't understand how they could here.

kevin