grub / grub2 conflicts

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 17:30:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 20:11 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The grub package (as provided in Fedora) is not designed for that. This
> would be a much easier discussion to have if you stopped describing
> things that are manifestly true as "not true". And while it is the case
> that grub *is* binary compatible between every version we've ever
> released, it is *not* guaranteed that that remains true, or even that
> it's true between us and any distribution that may be installed in a
> guest.

If libguestfs had code to detect that the guest version was incompatible
and failed gracefully with a nice explanation for the user, then there's
no problem right?

i.e. support it for compatible guest images, don't support it for
others?

But none of this has anything to do with grub conflicts. Either the
conflict is correct or it isn't.

If libguestfs can't detect the incompatibility, then that's a libguestfs
problem ... it's nothing to do with grub or its package maintainers.

Cheers,
Mark.