F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:11:22 UTC 2011

On 09/22/2011 12:52 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 11:31 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
>> Depends on how you want to resolve this. If you are going for
>> resurrecting the packages, then fix them up to build again and submit
>> new package review requests.
>
> I have a version of libglfw which is buildable for f16, but ... I cann't
> commit it, because there is no f16 branch in git ;)
[...]
> My proposal would be someone with appropriate privileges to add the
> missing libglfw/f16 branch. (Modulo the freeze) this would allow to
> resolve the broken deps issue for f16.

I am afraid to add it back in f16, it needs a re-review of the package. See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Orphaned_package_that_need_new_maintainers#Claiming_Ownership_of_a_Deprecated_Package

After review, you can can request the f16 git branch as usual as per
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_SCM_admin_requests

> Still, another question remains: How could dead packages make it into
> rawhide?

rawhide normally inherits packages from older Fedora releases. When a
package is retired, this is no longer desired and the package should be
blocked in koji to stop the inheritance and to prevent any new
(accidental) builds.

Blocking the package in koji doesn't happen automatically after retiring
the package in pkgdb. It's something that a koji admin has to do
manually. That's why there are instructions for filing a ticket with the
rel-eng trac at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackageEndOfLife

Apparently the person retiring the package didn't finish the Package End
of Life procedure and didn't have the package blocked in koji, so it's
still getting pulled in to F16 and rawhide composes.

--
Hope this helps,
Kalev