grub / grub2 conflicts

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 18:02:15 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 05:18:09PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 17:00 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > grub provides no mechanism for you to know that, which means you
> > > can't
> > > reliably know that. Which means relying on them being compatible
> > > is
> > > incorrect.
> >
> > You described yourself how libguestfs could check it. And failing
> > libguestfs doing it, the user could be warned to check it.
>
> I described something that is, practically speaking, impossible.

you run rpm -q grub in the guest and on the host, if they are the same nvr,
then they are the same package, where's the rocket science here.

> There is no rational reason to have grub and grub2 installed on the
> same
> system at once, and having them both there increases the complexity
> of
> the system.

you can install KDE and GNOME and you are worrying about grub and grub2?

surely grubby could detect which one is actually in use and pick it without the world ending.

but I agree with Mark, you guys are completely conflating two very different things and using
one to justify the other.

the is no technical reason why grub and grub2 should conflict, if there is syslinux should also conflict.

Maybe I have a grub USB key I want to update with a new grub while my main MBR is grub2.

Dave.