grub / grub2 conflicts

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 18:51:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:45:11AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> >> you run rpm -q grub in the guest and on the host, if they are the same nvr,
> >> then they are the same package, where's the rocket science here.
> >
> > The whole point of libguestfs's usage was that the package isn't actually
> > installed in the guest.  So that won't work.
> >
> > The rest of your point ignores that grub1 is going away as soon as is
> > reasonably practicable.
>

> It also ignores any non-rpm guests.

Guys ...

libguestfs can inspect any guest and work out what apps are installed,
what OS there is, what arch, what bootloader etc.  We support a dozen
different Linux distros (not just rpm/deb-based but some really odd
ones too), along with FreeBSD, and Windows.

We really have thought about all of this.

Rich.