Looking for dnssec-triggerd alpha testers!

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 19:46:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 14:26 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > But I'm not really familiar with unbound.  Is it a long-running service?
>
> Yes, It's a fully dnssec validating caching resolver. You start it at boot
> and leave it running.
>
> > What does its config file look like?  Does it re-read config data on
> > SIGHUP?
>
> You properly talk to it via unbound-control, which uses SSL certs between
> it and the daemon. No need to re-write config files or send it weirdo
> signals.

Ok, this part mystifies me.  I assume it just has a TCP socket listening
that you talk to it on?  Otherwise there's no point to using SSL on a
localhost where the socket would ideally be root-protected anyway.
Which would be a lot simpler for programmatic control.  I'm a bit
concerned about fragility here, since if we require SSL certs to talk to
the daemon on localhost, that means you need to have a whole bunch of
other stuff set up (CA certificates, point the helper to the CA
certificates, somehow generating the client/server certificates when
unbound is installed, etc) before things will work, which typically
shouldn't be necessary talking to a local machine with both processes
running as root.

Ideally we can send all the information to unbound in *one* request (to
reduce possible race conditions) and get back meaningful status/error
information too.  That's often the problem with running helper binaries,
in that screen-scraping is a horrible, horrible way to return error
information.  Ideally the helper binary returns a nice fine-grained exit
value and hopefully prints out well-formatted error messages to stderr?

Dan