grub / grub2 conflicts

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 11:54:36 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> You're basically arguing that we should never remove any software
> from Fedora
> in case it's used in a virtual machine hosted on a Fedora machine.
>
> This is not a workable scenario.

OMG Peter, can you intentionally conflate any more molehills into mountains?  Do you even believe the stuff you are spewing?  Of course it doesn't apply to all software, but the boot loader is an acknowledged special case of *all* installations, and it's something necessary to manage vm images, that does not conflate to all software unless you are just trying to be pissy.

Regardless, this is my suggestion Richard:

Grab the current grub package and add the source tarball to libguestfs
Grab the current grub2 package and add the source tarball to libguestfs
Build grub and grub2 as part of the libguestfs package
Install the grub and grub2 binaries as /usr/libexec/vm-grub{,2} and remove all the other grub/grub2 files (they aren't needed)
Maintain the binaries in libguestfs and fix any problems you find with specific guest OSes in your own package.  This has the side benefit that libguestfs will be more portable as a result because you won't care about the host OSes boot loader installation (or lack thereof).
If anyone complains about a grub/grub2 binary in libguestfs, tell them it's a necessary tool the base OS didn't want to provide reliably so you did what was necessary.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194