emacs and libotf.so.0

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Sep 23 22:13:03 UTC 2011

Hi Denis,

On Sunday, 04 September 2011 at 16:59, Denis Arnaud wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just came onto a tricky dependency issue, and thought it could be of
> interest to the list.
> emacs requires libotf.so.0, which is the library handling Open Type Fonts
> (OTF), provided by the libotf package.
> Well, fine enough. But libotf.so.0 is also provided by the OpenMPI package
> (not in /usr/lib, but rather in /usr/lib/openmpi/lib).
>
> So, RPM/Yum is misleaded when installing, whenever OpenMPI has installed. It
> results in a cryptic "emacs: error while loading shared libraries:
> libotf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
> error message (I put it here in plain, so that it can be indexed by our
> favourite Web crawlers), or so, when trying to launch emacs from a terminal.
>
> I see no clean solution, as both packages (libotf, openmpi) have some
> legitimity to name that libotf.so library like that. And it seems
> impracticable to have RPM handles full paths rather than just library names.
>
> I leave the floor open for debates :)

I'd say, file a bug against libotf and openmpi - we cannot have two packages
providing a library with the same name doing different things. libotf and openmpi
need to sort it out between themselves.

We had issues with packages providing the same binaries, but I think this is
the first time I see it with a library.

Regards,
Dominik

"Faith manages."