PDF printouts with no top margin?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Sep 28 00:01:10 UTC 2011

Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> I'm running Fedora 15 on x86_64, up to date, with JNovy's TeXlive (but that
> one doesn't seem to be at fault).
>
> Printing PDFs created by pdflatex (even oldish ones) on a HP LaserJet
> m1522nf MFP over the 'net gives me pages that start on flush top, any top
> margin setting via the geometry package has no visible efect. A very old
> PDF generated by OOo 1.1.0 in 2004 shows a similar lack of top margin when
> printed (an inch or so loped off the top). evince or xpdf show the PDF
> files with normal top margins.
>
> A CUPS test page prints its black frame almost perfectly centered on the
> paper.
>
> cups-1.4.8-2.fc15.x86_64
> ghostscript-9.04-3.fc15.x86_64
> hplip-3.11.7-2.fc15.x86_64
>
> I'm at a loss on how to debug this further.

Came home and printed the same file that came out wron on my Epson Stylus
CX7700, connected via USB. There it printed fine.

Somebody asked if I printed via evince or lpr. Using xpdf the files look
fine, but print out wrong. Printing via lpr also gets them wrong.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513