unison formal review

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 09:15:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:55:43AM +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 07:46 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/unison213
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/unison227
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/unison
> >
> > Instead of introducing yet another variation, can we somehow create a
> > single 'unison' package which covers all of the protocol variants?
>
> Why should I install all versions if I only want the recent one?
> Or the xxx one, for compatibility.
>
> Isn't there a general policy "split into many rpms, when possible"?
>
> Having a single executable would be great (like rsync), but that
> is an upstream issue.

They don't all need to be in separately named packages.  It's not
beyond the realm of possibility for us to package up multiple versions
of the source into one unison package.

TBH I'd like to hear what FESCO have to say about this, because AFAIK
there is no other package in the whole of Fedora which is packaged
this way.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/