GNOME 3 - font point sizes now scaled?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Sep 30 23:26:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> However, it now has a text scaling factor in gsettings that I was not
> aware of. So I guess I just need to find an appropriate factor that
> makes fonts look OK on the XO.

One problem faced here is that (as noted earlier) Cantarell behaves
quite differently to Sans (DejaVu) in terms of scaling at different
sizes, and the default setup mixes these 2 fonts. This problem gets
amplified when applying large scale factors.

So I settled for a scale factor of 2.1. This makes the document font
and window title font (both Sans) look the correct size, but
everything else (Cantarell) is uncomfortably large. Then I changed the
default font from Cantarell to Sans and now everything looks fine.

So my final override:

[org.gnome.desktop.interface]
cursor-size=48
text-scaling-factor=2.1