/tmp on tmpfs (was: Re: Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-04-02))

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 20:30:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:24:38PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  - it doesn't support O_DIRECT
>
> Neither does this (which apps needs O_DIRECT on /tmp ? ).

qemu and libguestfs as it turned out.  It was one of the things we had
to fix when we first ported to Debian.

It's not completely unusual that an application should want to
directly access a cache file, bypassing the page cache, nor that it
would want to store such a file in /tmp.  My point was that these
things will be discovered when we test every application.

> >  - it doesn't support user extended attrs; and not very old kernels
> >   didn't support any xattrs at all, meaning things like SELinux
> >   labels don't work
>
> Huh? Why would you run a "very old kernel" on fedora?

It's not unknown that people use different kernels from the ones
supplied.  I said "not very old", by which I meant >= 12 months old.

Rich.