/tmp on tmpfs

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Tue Apr 3 01:28:29 UTC 2012

On 04/02/2012 07:44 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 06:34:59PM -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>   >  On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:32:56PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>   >  >* #834 F18 Feature: /tmp on tmpfs -
>   >  >    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs  (mitr, 17:40:06)
>   >  >    * AGREED: tmp-on-tmpfs is accepted (+5 -3)  (mitr, 18:12:52)
>   >
>   >  The wiki page says:
>   >    By implementing this we, by default, generate less IO on disks. This
>   >    increases SSD lifetime, saves a bit of power and makes things a bit
>   >    faster.
>   >
>   >  What about the memory pressure? with on-disk /tmp, the buffer cache
>   >  prevents excessive writing if there's memory to spare, but the
>   >  system still works when memory is used up. What happens with tmpfs?
>
> tmpfs contents are pageable, and will be swapped out if necessary.

I can't say that as a user (and sysadmin) I'm really thrilled with
this.  /tmp doesn't go away on reboots now so this is a biggish change
from my point of view.  There have been several times where I've dumped
things in /tmp that I needed after a reboot.  I really don't care what
the LSB recommends in this case:  this is a pretty big behavior change.
The hand-wavy rule for "big files" going to /var/tmp and little things
going to /tmp is also gross since its creating a distinction that really
doesn't need to be there.

I've also dealt with sloppy users in the past that would write things to
a tmpfs /tmp (on solaris) and not clean them up.  Yes, its a programming
issue, but I can't always control my users so  instead of giving
warnings that the disk was getting full the performance went to hell
because it was swapping like crazy.

I've looked at the benefits page on the wiki and I'm not seeing any
benefits to me.  It seems more like someone that needed this solution
would want to opt in to rather than forcing others to opt out of it.

Is there a reason why a symlink from /tmp -> /var/tmp and leaving
/var/tmp on a real disk isn't sufficient for whatever is trying to be
solved here?