Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:11:51 UTC 2012

Kamil Paral píše v Út 03. 04. 2012 v 09:26 -0400:
> I was quite depressed how hard it can be for a layman to find a way to install Fedora from LiveCD environment. If you don't recognize the icon in Gnome Shell Overview mode, it can give you quite some work to find it. Since OSS philosophy is "if you don't like it, fix it", I did. In the last two days I have created a Gnome Shell extension that puts a button on the top bar that says "Install to Hard Drive". It has an icon attached, so it's very visible. The graphics and the text is taken from anaconda's .desktop file, so localization should work OOTB. When you click the button, the installation process starts the same way as if you had run it from the overview.
>
> You can see it here:
> http://kparal.fedorapeople.org/misc/InstallFedoraButton.png
>
> What do you think? Better than default?
>
> I personally think it's definitely better than default. I'm sure it can be improved in many ways, but this was my first GS extension ever and I'm really lame, so bear with me (patches welcome). The source code is here:
> http://kparal.fedorapeople.org/misc/InstallFedoraButton.7z
>
> How to try out:
> 1. boot F17 Beta RC2 Live
> 2. extract the extension to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
> 3. restart gnome-shell (Alt+F2 -> r)
> 4. install gnome-tweak-tool and enable this extension
>
> Future steps if people like it:
> a) find out how to include this just on the livecd, but not on the installed system
> b) modify gsettings to have this extension automatically enabled
> c) ask anaconda team to include it into their project and maintain it
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Kamil

I think this is definitely something we should fix. I don't even
remember how many times I've been asked how to install Fedora from the
liveCD.
The solution proposed by Kamil is definitely better and more obvious
than the one we've had so far.
If we want to have as default look as possible we might want to change
the icon in the dash. Something like adding text in the icon "Install
Fedora". I know it probably breaks all icon guidelines, but I don't know
any picture that would obviously stand for installation.
The way it is now is really more like an easter egg or a contest "who
will find a way to install Fedora first".

Jiri