/tmp on tmpfs

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 3 16:34:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 10:35 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele at indiana.edu> said:
> > * The competition for space between things in /tmp and VM.  When someone
> > abuses space in /tmp (on purpose or not) then the system is going to
> > start swapping and performance is going to suffer and the common
> > response for fixing it will end up being 'just reboot'.  That's just gross.
>
> First, tmpfs can be swapped.  If you are swapping tmpfs files, how is
> that any worse than having /tmp on a disk?

 On my current desktop I have over a TB of /tmp disk, and ~3GB of free
swap (~5GB is being used by web browsers/etc.). And I'm not dying to
make swap any bigger so I can start swapping to death, instead of
desktop apps. just crashing (this is bad enough already).
 Saying that my /tmp is currently "only" about ~500MB.