/tmp on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Apr 3 08:50:48 UTC 2012

Am 03.04.2012 09:17, schrieb drago01:
> I don't really get why people make so much fuss about a non issue
> really. 99,99% of the users won't even notice that anything changed at
> all.

for this 99.9% the current behavior is also good enough
if they do not notice any change

the other 0.1% are servers where /tmp is a own partition
or for virtual machines often even a own virtual disk
where as example mysqld writes temp-files for many
operations require a temp-table or vmware put
memory mapped files

these are actions often require a lot of disk space
and /tmp was set up as own virtual disk to NOT use
rootfs