Feedback on secondary architecture promotion requirements draft

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 21:23:04 UTC 2012

2012/4/3 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 04/03/2012 07:29 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>>
>>  I really don't care who pays for the hardware, just that we
>> have hardware that meets the requirements for being in the colo.
>> ongoing hardware costs will likely be from one of Fedora engineering,
>> Release engineering or Red Hat IT's budget.
>

> Just out of curiosity what's the procedure for the community to provide
> releng/infrastructure with hw if it's needed?

The rules are, it has to be rack mountable hardware that comes with
full warranty support.  I believe it needs to also have some form of
remote management.

If it meets those rules, you can file a ticket with infrastructure and
ship it to the PHX2 datacenter.  They'll let you know if there is space
and power drops in the datacenter, etc.

> Does there exist an paypal account or something similar to gather funds for
> needed hw?

No Fedora sponsored PayPal account.  There are various reasons that
one can't be created, similar to how you cannot donate financially to
the Fedora Project.  SA teams could possibly create one themselves I
guess.

> Long story put short what can we do and what cant we do in that regard?

The need for a full warranty is usually enough of a hurdle to limit
what the community as a bunch of individuals can do.  Your idea of a
community started funding account is new though I think.  It might be
worth exploring.

josh