Graphical Rescue Mode

Mike Manilone crtmike at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:38:42 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I think if there's a "Graphical Rescue Mode" ("GRM"), that would be
great and friendly to end-users. I know many users who can't rescue
their systems from a shell. The work needs a lot of knowledge about
Linux and shell. But a new user can't learn soon or even they never want
to learn about them. However, new users often made mistakes.
So I thought about a GRM. Just like Windows' one.

Since Fedora uses systemd, the runlevel is not so important. Even though
we must choose a runlevel, there are still some are the same.

$ ls -l runlevel2.target runlevel3.target runlevel4.target
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Mar 30 07:01 runlevel2.target ->
multi-user.target
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Mar 30 07:01 runlevel3.target ->
multi-user.target
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Mar 30 07:01 runlevel4.target ->
multi-user.target

We are still able to choose one from them.

I think the GRM at least
* Can enter desktop environment with superuser.
* GRUB should have an entry to the GRM.
* <Optional> network connection, if user wants. This may be helpful if
user doesn't have some tools.
* <Optional>(may be difficult) Hard disk operation - don't mount the
rootfs. maybe we can load everything we need to the RAM.
* Be full-internationalized. Be friendly to all the people. fbterm is
helpful for this feature.

I don't think it's too hard to implement except the fourth one. I hope
end-users (and I :-) can see the great feature in Fedora in future.

Best Regards,
Mike Manilone.