help updating sheepdog in F17

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 12:31:30 UTC 2012

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:09:07PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

>>> Indeed, what is the rationale for bohdi even allowing people to +1 their
>>> own updates. Seems like it should be blocked, surely ?
>>
>> Truth told, in our team(s), we use this "loophole" to save people time
>> in "paperwork".
>>
>> I can only speak for myself, but when we do updates of several packages
>> at once, we _always_ coordinate/agree/pretest and all, way before the
>> new stuff hits Fedora.
>>
>> While i understand the point of karma, i see very little use of going
>> around asking people to login/find the update/votes, etc. when can all
>> be coordinate and driven by one person.
>>
>> Then again, I am not here to start another thread. I would simply like
>> to get a working version of sheepdog in F17 or somebody to retire the
>> package if nobody uses it anymore.
>
> In this case you added positive karma to your own update on 2012-03-30,
> days before starting this thread about Sheepdog being broken.
> Given
> that we're at F17 Beta, an ABI breaking change should not have been
> scheduled for push to stable while you knew the Sheepdog issue was
> not resolved. IMHO this is an abuse of the update process.

That´s not entirely correct either.

corosync API/ABI change happened a long time ago (before Alpha).
Sheepdog has been broken since.

With the last update, the corosync API/ABI have been marked stable.

sheepdog maintainer did not take action, so I decided to port sheepdog
to the new API/ABI to fix it.

The time lapse between the last update and my request for help is simply
the time i have been waiting for sheepdog maintainer to reply to my emails.

Fabio