Hello!

Brown, David M JR david.brown at pnnl.gov
Wed Apr 4 22:57:12 UTC 2012

Fedora Packagers,

I've been working through the Package Maintainers Join page and one of the things to do is to send an introduction to the Fedora Devel list, so here it is.

Hi! It's been a while since I've done Open Source Distribution work but I've gotten into a serious job since then and have been thinking of ways to work in the Open Source world that would best help the institution I'm working at (see email address). I'd really like to join the ranks of a Fedora Package Maintainer and I've got several packages in mind and an area I'd like to focus on.

Mostly, we at EMSL/PNL support a large scale super computer and a large scientific data archive. All of the work my groups does is Linux based and has been for about 10 years. Consequently the SciTech SIG seems very interesting to me along with any system software development to make large scale clusters work.  Just to raddle off the list of packages I'd like to contribute.

 1. GA (http://www.emsl.pnl.gov/docs/global)
 2. CView (https://github.com/EMSL-MSC/cview)
 3. NWChem (http://www.nwchem-sw.org)
 4. genders (http://genders.sf.net) (810010)

I work down the hall from some of the development groups supporting the clusters they run the code so resolving user issues and bugs should be done in a timely manner. Also, many of the packages already maintained by SciTech would be really useful to have in EPEL and I would certainly help support and resolve issues for those pieces of software.

For past work you can look for my email address in bugzilla.redhat.com and also google `dmlb2000 source mage' and you should find a whole lot of stuff I did while in college.

Thanks,
- David Brown