While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 18:32:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 20:21 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Today when using F17 Alpha, I ran qemu and got an error which was
> > something like:
> >
> >  qemu-kvm: undefined symbol usbredirhost_foo
> >
> > (I don't recall the precise symbol).  This was just because that
> > version of qemu was compiled against a later version of
> > libusbredirhost.so (but one with the same soname), and updating
> > libusbredirhost.so fixed the problem.
> >
> > The 'qemu' package has a bug, of sorts: the maintainer should have
> > added a specific Requires line:
> >
> >  Requires: usbredir >= <some version>
> >
> > However, instead of pushing this problem on packagers, maybe RPM
> > should resolve this by encoding the (admittedly long) list of symbols
> > used by a binary?
>
> Well the bug here is that usbredir changed ABI without bumping the soname.

This isn't a backwards-incompatible change, as I understand it. It looks
like they added a feature to the ABI and qemu started relying on it. So
it really is just a case of the qemu package not properly identifying
its dependency.

A library only needs to bump it's soname if it changes or removes a
public function. Adding a new one is generally fine.