size of F17 install DVD

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 5 19:20:48 UTC 2012

nonamedotc <nonamedotc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone please tell me why the install DVD for F17 is smaller than
> that for earlier releases. The install DVD is 2.3 GB whereas the one for
> F16, for example, is 3.5 GB. Thanks.

AFAIK no one has completely figured this out yet. I noticed that the
libreoffice-langpack-* packages are on the F16 DVD but not later, and based on
the average size and number of these that seems to account for about half of the
size difference. Here are links to package lists (sorted by size in 1K-blocks)
for the i386 F16 and F17 Alpha TC1 DVDs (the size reduction happened at Alpha
TC1).

http://robatino.fedorapeople.org/sizes_Fedora-16-i386-DVD.txt
http://robatino.fedorapeople.org/sizes_Fedora-17-Alpha.TC1-i386-DVD.txt