/tmp on tmpfs (was: Re: Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-04-02))

Vratislav Podzimek vpodzime at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 09:14:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 20:58 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:32:56PM +0200, Miloslav Trma─Ź wrote:
> > * #834 F18 Feature: /tmp on tmpfs -
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs  (mitr, 17:40:06)
> >   * AGREED: tmp-on-tmpfs is accepted (+5 -3)  (mitr, 18:12:52)
> Actually I think this is a good feature, but ...
> The feature page is wrong about "The user experience should barely
> change.  This is mostly a low-level change that has little visibility
> to the user."
> tmpfs is different in a number of important ways:
>  - it's very limited in space compared to a real disk
This is the reason why I refused having /tmp as tmpfs (or even as a
separate partition) few months ago. Has anybody tried to use e.g.
Brasero with it? Well, if you are burning a DVD, Brasero needs about 4
GB on /tmp -- not enough space in RAM or wasting a lot of disk space on
having such big /tmp partition that is most of the time unused. Yes, you
can tell Brasero to use some other space, but it obviously relies on
volatility of the /tmp and doesn't clean after itself. I'm quite sure
this is not only the case of Brasero.

Vratislav Podzimek <vpodzime at redhat.com>