While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Apr 7 18:15:45 UTC 2012

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Today when using F17 Alpha, I ran qemu and got an error which was
> something like:
>
>   qemu-kvm: undefined symbol usbredirhost_foo
>
> (I don't recall the precise symbol).  This was just because that
> version of qemu was compiled against a later version of
> libusbredirhost.so (but one with the same soname), and updating
> libusbredirhost.so fixed the problem.
>
> The 'qemu' package has a bug, of sorts: the maintainer should have
> added a specific Requires line:
>
>   Requires: usbredir >= <some version>
>
> However, instead of pushing this problem on packagers, maybe RPM
> should resolve this by encoding the (admittedly long) list of symbols
> used by a binary?

rpm does handle this, provided the library in question uses symbol
versioning.

In this case, I'm guessing that useredir did one or more of the following:
1.  broke abi, but didn't bump soname
2.  doesn't support symbol versioning at all
3.  does do symbol versioning (in general), but botched it wrt
usbredirhost_foo

-- rex