How to properly reference a source from Debian/Ubuntu in a SPEC file?

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Mon Apr 9 16:44:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 11:06:34AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I have found an updated version and patches from Debian which is
> version 0.1.5.9 which builds and works with my project but I can not
 find any reference to where that source was obtained.

I have get a look on ftp.debian.org and recorgnize, that this may
a developers release created from the CVS.

In this case the official way is to checkout the release from upstream
CVS and create a tarball locally. In the SPEC file you should add
a comment with a description how you have create the tarball from
upstreams's CVS.

Of corse there are projects which are official hosted by debian, so you
can add a referenznce to to ftp server of the debian project.

This may looks like

Source0: ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/<first_letter>/%{name}/...

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt