How to properly reference a source from Debian/Ubuntu in a SPEC file?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:11:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen at herr-schmitt.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 12:01:40PM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Unfortunately upstream's CVS doesn't appear to have the version I
>> need. Perhaps the appended ".9" to the version is really from Debian
>> to keep it from going FTBFS.
>
> When I take a look at
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debain/pool/main/z/zipios++/
>
> I will see a tar.gz file which caontains the string
>
> 'cvs.2007.04.20'
>
> in the file name.
>
> So I assume,you should get the rigth release, if yo specify
>
> -d 200704020
>
> on the cvs checkout command.

I tried that, but I don't think the source is a stock checkout.

> Of course, it may be not wrong to contact the debian maintainer
> to be sure, that this is right.

I sent him an email. Hopefully he'll get back to me.

> At least, it may be nice, if you can contact upstream too, because
> the year 2007 as a check in date is very old, so I'm afreaid, that
> there is not a very active upstream support for this project.

Well, it's a fairly simple utility library. It may be that it really
hasn't needed anything other than patches to keep it building. I'm not
sure what projects use it, but I need it for FreeCAD.

Thanks,
Richard