SELinuxDenyPtrace: Write, compile, run, but don't debug applications?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 10 12:47:22 UTC 2012

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> I have seen of gdm and NetworkManager execing gdb on crash.  You keep
> saying other apps work like DrKonqi, can you give examples?

While unfortunately I don't know how all these work (i.e. whether they also
work by execing GDB like DrKonqi) and while AFAIK not all of these are
enabled in Fedora packaging, there are at least the following:
* Breakpad (Mozilla)
* Bug Buddy (GNOME, disabled in Fedora packaging AFAIK)
* a crash handler in wxWidgets

I believe there are probably also individual applications having homegrown
solutions.

> I am wondering if we could break the ability to give a traceback from the
> ability to actually view and modify variables from an application.
>
> All of these apps seem to be just collecting a traceback, is DrKonqi
> collecting more?

It's doing a "thread apply all backtrace" in GDB. That's a traceback (of all
the threads), but it also shows information such as the values of arguments.

        Kevin Kofler