/var/crash/* disappear after reboot

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 11 08:12:25 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 09:20 AM, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 03:09 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
>> Thirdly, it breaks the existing behavior. So abrt maintainers, please
>> change this behavior. Don't break thinkgs by default. I think hardcoding
>> the logic to look into /var/crash/ for vmcores or creating a soft
>> link should work for you. Even if does not work for whatever reason,
>> please disable abrt-vmcore service by default. This is completely
>> unexpected change of behavior.
>>

> - "breaks the behavior" is a bit too hard, it doesn't break things. The
> only think it could break is some app which expects the vmcores in the
> kdump directory, but I don't know about such app in Fedora (maybe I just
> wasn't looking hard enough)

Instead of apps looking for the vmcore, I guess it would mostly be
people that can not find the new location of the vmcore. An app for full
automatic vmcore analysis would surely be interesting, not sure
something like that exists or is even remotely possible.

> Sorry for the troubles, we will fix it with next update (either fix the
> abrt vmcore plugin or disable the service if we wouldn't make it for F17)

That's much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Niels