kernel-modules-extra and GFS2

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 09:52:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've had some reports recently that appeared to suggest that in F17,
GFS2 was no longer being supported by the kernel. Having investigated
this, it appears that the root cause is that the gfs2.ko module has been
moved to a package called kernel-modules-extra (although the kernel RPM
still contains the directory in which the gfs2 module sits, which is a
bit odd - why package an empty directory?)

Now, I'm wondering whether I should add a dependency on
kernel-modules-extra in the gfs2-utils package?

There was never a dep on the kernel package in gfs2-utils - it seemed a
bit pointless, really :-) However I can see that we'll land up with a
lot of confused users I think, when they get an error message implying
that the Fedora kernel no longer supports GFS2.

Also, I wonder whether we could arrange for the loading of a kernel
module that isn't installed, but that is in the kernel-modules-extra
package to trigger some kind of notice to the user, that this is the
case and they need to install the additional package?

Steve.