While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 14:49:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:11:40AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> So that's a factor of 25ish more data in the Requires list.  No, thanks.

I'm assuming your argument is that you don't want to ship RPMs or
repositories where part of them grows to be 25x larger.

But this need not be the case.  Observe that the packages already
contain the data (in the libraries and binaries themselves).

It may need to be indexed for faster lookups, but that indexing only
applies to the "provides" side, ie. libraries.  Library symbols are
highly regular (eg. containing large common prefixes) so the size of
the index won't be as large as the 25x current size.

Rich.