While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 18:01:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 03:53:18PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 03:49:29PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:11:40AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > So that's a factor of 25ish more data in the Requires list.  No, thanks.
> >
> > I'm assuming your argument is that you don't want to ship RPMs or
> > repositories where part of them grows to be 25x larger.
> >
> > But this need not be the case.  Observe that the packages already
> > contain the data (in the libraries and binaries themselves).
>
> That data is in the RPM payload though. The YUM depsolving code
> does not have any of the RPM payloads available - it is still
> trying to figure out which it needs. So at least the YUM repodata
> will grow in size significantly, even if the RPMs themselves did
> not.

I'm not arguing that's how yum works now, but it doesn't have to work
that way!

It could incrementally download the RPMs during depsolving, test that
they work together, and with that information download further
packages as necessary ...

Yes, I know, unless I write the code, I can shut up :-)

Rich.