End user needs info: Freeplane on Fedora 17

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:34:07 UTC 2012

As the maintainer of freemind, I also looked into packaging freeplane
but I gave up since it adds a whole bunch of new deps. I didn't have the
time and motivation to add all those, just for a program which basically
does the same as freemind. I know that it does have some additional
features and is a bit better maintained, but this didn't justify the
additional workload for me.
This is also a result of the way Java projects ship their software which
makes it hard to use it in a way, we need it in fedora.
I know that there were some issues of freemind with regard to exporting
(which should be mostly fixed by now) and with the usage of Japanese
Letters or Signs, but this is more an upstream thing and there is not
much we could do about.
The only way freeplane is coming to fedora is that someone steps up and
does the required packaging work. (Note that I am also not really a
programmer and was also just an "end user" before I started working on
fedora) ;-)

Johannes