SELinuxDenyPtrace: Write, compile, run, but don't debug applications?

Mark Wielaard mjw at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 15:18:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 08:05 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> Please just use Yama -- it's already in the mainline kernel[1]. You
> don't need to create anything new. All the crash handlers and other
> tools (Firefox, Chrome, DrKonqi/KDE, and Wine) are already aware of how
> to declare ptrace relationships with prctl(PR_SET_PTRACER) from when I
> wrote Yama and sent patches to various upstreams. Just allowing child
> process relationships isn't sufficient, which is why PR_SET_PTRACER was
> created so that things like Wine could declare the entire cluster of
> wine-server-spawned processes as ptraceable, etc.
>
> Why go a totally new route when all of these problems were already solved?

To be honest, and like we discussed on irc yesterday, it seems Yama has
all the same problems like the current "solution". It denies ptrace
attach to your own processes by default which is what breaks lots of
things (we were discussing just jinfo/jstack/jmap yesterday, and I found
that issue without even trying). None of the solutions that you claim
Yama provides unbreaks these tools. IMHO just adding documentation and
hoping users finds that and are allowed to unbreak their own setup isn't
a real solution. It is fine to confine some applications so they cannot
ptrace attach to arbitrary processes, but just globally disabling ptrace
attach even for unconfined users is just rude IMHO, not to mention
highly unsocial (as if our users wouldn't be hackers interested how
stuff works).

Cheers,

Mark