anaconda verbosity

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Apr 12 19:08:52 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:35 AM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 11:53 AM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>> So on Friday I used the netinstall to upgrade my baremetal F15 system
>> to F17. Went well and I'm enjoying F17 so far. However I noticed that
>> anaconda is um... too quiet?
> [...]
>> very little HD activity, no UI etc. I ended up stracing anaconda and
>> noticed it was downloading the rpm .hdr files. There were a few times
>> (the upgrade took about 3 hours on my quad core i7 PC) where I was
>> wondering if it was frozen. I'm wondering if anaconda could be slightly
>> more verbose?
> [...]
>> Perhaps the level of detail is sufficient and I'm the only one who
>> wants to know what is happening?
>
> You're absolutely right, and it's not just anaconda---it's very useful
> to be able to figure out what the system is doing. It has huge
> performance implications---if we want our systems to be more responsive,
> we have to be looking for performance bottlenecks, and application
> status and tracing are the right tools.
>
> Unfortunately, tracing has negative security implications and there's an
> ongoing SELinux discussion about disabling tracing by default,
> systemwide. I don't like that idea, even though it's fairly easy to
> override.

Yeah, I'm not even talking about tracing. Just increasing the verbosity.
I can't recall at what stage anaconda performed the usrmove. However
there was absolutely no indication what it was doing. I think it was
around the user /date /time or some other thing. And it sat there doing
nothing, not progressbar etc... The same when it downloaded the headers.
Even if it just said "Downloading rpm headers..." better yet if it did
similar to the installation phase where it gives you package by package.
There are a number of situations where there is a progress bar but the
text and what it is doing is vague and so I don't really know what's
happening.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613