disruptive libffi upgrade

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:36:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> You have to temper guidelines with some thought.  How recently
> have these symbols been introduced?  Are you aware of anything that
> actually calls them?  If nothing does, have you considered simply
> removing them?   Or, have you considered just keeping the symbols
> but making them do nothing?

Put another way, so name bumps are for when incompatibly changing the
API, but these functions were never officially part of the API.  Any
program that used them, was using the library in an off-label way, and
they can expect undefined behavior from doing so (including undefined
symbols errors at startup).

Likely, there are no such programs anyway, so it's moot, I guess.  I
guess there's a slight risk a program isn't using lazy binding, but
not sure it's a big enough risk to bother caring.

--Ray