sudo and changes in packaging guidelines

Mattia Verga mattia.verga at tiscali.it
Fri Apr 13 15:37:12 UTC 2012

Greetings,
I saw the changes in packaging guidelines related to PIE:

/If your package meets the following criteria you *MUST* enable the PIE
compiler flags: /

  * /Your package is long running. This means it's likely to be started
    and keep running until the machine is rebooted, not start on demand
    and quit on idle. /

  * /Your package has suid binaries, or binaries with capabilities. /

  * /Your package runs as root. /

I maintain kde-partitionmanager and I wonder if I should apply PIE to
that. At startup it calls itself with sudo: to work properly it must run
as root, but it can be started also as normal user. Am I correct if I
think it fits in the third assumption above?

Thank you.
Mattia