sudo and changes in packaging guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:45:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 02:40:11PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 4/13/12 2:37 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> >
> >>[...]
> >>If your package meets the following criteria you MUST enable the PIE compiler
> >>flags:
> >>[...]
> >>   * Your package runs as root.
> >>[...]
> >
> >If this is meant to cover administrative binaries that have no
> >privilege escalation pieces of their own, merely run by root, then
> >what makes them different from any other /bin/* program that a root
> >process might invoke?
>
> It's not meant to cover that.  That phrasing is meant to cover system
> components like init that do not function _unless_ run as uid 0.

Actually... and this is reaching back into my memory of something that was
just mentioned in passing so I could definitely be misremembering it now...
I believe that either our FESCo contact or one of the gcc folks thought we
should be covering programs which were typically run-by-root, as well as
things run-only-as-root.

If someone would like to either find that statement or layout the pros and
cons of this issue fresh, we can look at changing the wording to be more
clear one way or the other.

-Toshio