While we're talking about RPM dependencies ...

Pavel Alexeev forum at hubbitus.com.ru
Mon Apr 16 07:06:41 UTC 2012

16.04.2012 09:33, Toshio Kuratomi написал:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:02:31AM +0400, Pavel Alexeev wrote:

>>> I don't think this would be a speedup.  Instead of the CPUs of tens of
>>> thousands of computers doing the depsolving, you'd be requiring the CPUs of
>>> a single site to do it.
>> Yes. And as many clients do the same work, caching will give there
>> good results. So, sequence requests will costs nothing.
> No.  Most requests will be different because they have a different initial
> state.
If you read my suggestion I do not suggest send from client big upload
overhead of current installed state. Client ask from server full
dependency which package have, and then intercept answer with current
installed software. So, answer for each client for package will be the
same. Additionally it still allow resolve dependencies with several
enabled repositories when some dependencies can't be resolved on one
server repo.
>>>    The server that
>>> constructs the subsets of repodata would become single point of failures
>>> whereas currently the repodata can be hosted on any mirror.  This setup
>>> would be much more sensitive to mirrors and repodata going out of sync.
>>> There'd likely be times when a new push has gone out where the primary
>>> mirror was the only server which could push packages out as every other
>>> mirror would be out of sync wrt the repodata server.
>> Yes, as I wrote initially it introduce more requirements to the
>> server, especially some sort of scripting allowed (php, perl, python,
>> ruby or other).
>> But at all it is not exclude mirroring as it is free software and any
>> ma install it, and sync metadata information in traditional way.
> If you're requiring that mirrors run the script on their systems, then
> that makes this idea pretty much a non-starter.  We've been  told by mirrors
> that they do not want to do this.
For that mirror traditional fallback scheme will be available.
But if that will be implemented, I think appeared new mirrors also. And
client may prefer one or another type depending by they needs.
Additional it can be implemented as only solver mirror to serve requests
and then point to download on other(s) mirrors. In that case
requirements will be small and it may be hosted even on shared hosting.
So, I too can provide that mirror.