Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 18:53:15 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 09:55 -0800, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:
> > > How bout adding/changing the icon for installing? Can we not include some
> > > text in the icon? "Install Fedora" somehow??
> >
> > Actually... would it make sense to force a notification event about
> > the install option on live CD login? It pops up for a few seconds in
> > the message tray telling you this media can be used for a full
> > install..and then the message lives in the message tray until
> > dismissed.   Seems like the point of the message tray to me. Or am I
> > missing the point
>
> The one thing that a notification has going for it is that it doesn't
> really require any design and the implementation is readily available.
>
> But a welcome screen which offers to install or run uninstalled makes
> more sense to me, design-wise.

Sorry for the thread archaeology, I'm catching up on two weeks of -devel
after Beta crunch and travelling.

One angle on this that didn't get pointed out, I guess because anaconda
team apparently isn't reading, is that at least one person on the
anaconda team - I forget who - hates liveinst with a passion and has
been proposing forever to kill it and replace it with a choice on the
live image boot menu between 'boot a live desktop' and 'install' (which
would run anaconda in a locked-down environment, just like on the DVD /
netinst). If that plan were to actually happen it would kinda supersede
all the other suggestions, I think.

Brian, is the above actually likely to happen in any near-future
timeframe? Or is it just one of those 'wouldn't it be nice if...'
things?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey