Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 19:13:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:51:05PM +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> One angle on this that didn't get pointed out, I guess because anaconda
> team apparently isn't reading, is that at least one person on the
> anaconda team - I forget who - hates liveinst with a passion and has
> been proposing forever to kill it and replace it with a choice on the
> live image boot menu between 'boot a live desktop' and 'install' (which
> would run anaconda in a locked-down environment, just like on the DVD /
> netinst). If that plan were to actually happen it would kinda supersede
> all the other suggestions, I think.

There's more than one of us I think :)

> Brian, is the above actually likely to happen in any near-future
> timeframe? Or is it just one of those 'wouldn't it be nice if...'
> things?

Not for F17. Maybe for F18 if I can figure out a way to do it that
wouldn't confuse the heck out of everyone already using live to do their
install.s

The reason why I dislike liveinst is that by launching it from a running
system the environment setup for it isn't as consistent as when it is
run from a DVD or netinst.iso install environment. This results in odd
bugs related to liveinst that don't show up in the normal install path.