3.3.1-5.fc17.x86_64.debug power management and overheating issue

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 21:49:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Paul Wouters wrote:

> Confirmed the suspend fix. overheating still happening. Trying out older
> kernels now to pinpoint the exact version that introduced this.

I tried the oldest kernels available and they also caused overheating,
so I assume the problem is related to an update in the userland.

I cannot send any fan command to /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

But when i reload the module using:

modprobe thinkpad_acpi experimental=1 fan_control=1

then I do get fan control back. I can manually maxout the fan using

echo level full-speed > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

When setting it back to auto, and running a kernel compile, the fan
still does not automatically engage and syslog starts to send overheating
warnings. So for now I am running with full-speed....

Paul