Feedback on secondary architecute promotion requirements draft

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 04:42:58 UTC 2012

Hi Matthew,

On 04/18/2012 09:54 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Right now I don't think ARM's doing a great job of that [being part of
> the Fedora community]. Your meetings  happen on the phone and aren't
minuted.

I am sorry that you feel that way. I think it is important to add some
context to the point about meetings (I'm not sure how one generalizes
that into a broader statement). We have meetings that are on the phone,
and on IRC, on #fedora-arm, which you are welcome to join (though I
understand that this is unusual to have a phone call and the timing
might not be convenient to everyone's schedule - the current time was
collaboratively chosen by everyone involved in Fedora ARM). We use the
standard meeting bot, and we have an intention to move to
#fedora-meeting in due course. For now we're still using #fedora-arm,
but if it's important that we move meetings from now on, we can do that.

We are aware of the need to do a better job in getting things written
down (on IRC) as they are discussed. In the meeting we had today (prior
to your email), we specifically discussed whether we want to continue to
use the phone, and it was decided that this was generally preferred for
the time being. Not everyone prefers the phone, of course, but the
consensus appeared to be that we will continue the dual phone/IRC
approach for now, and revisit this topic semi-regularly for review.

> I've got no insight at all into
> how your development process is progressing.

I'm glad to see that you care deeply about the topic. You're welcome to
join #fedora-arm, participate in the discussions, join the mailing list,
and reply to any of the discussions there. You're also welcome to start
new conversations, or raise issues on IRC any time you like. It might
also be relatively easy for us to arrange to get you some hardware that
you can run the ARM port on if you would like to help?

> At minimum you should be
> meeting in #fedora-meeting and posting minutes to arm@ - ideally you'd
> be Cc:ing them to devel at .

Feel free to add that to the list of requirements for SA promotion.

> If you're doing everything transparently

We are doing everything transparently. Some times it might happen on the
"wrong" channel, and we might screw up with regard to certain
expectations, but there is no attempt to be non-transparent.

Thanks,

Jon.