Fedora 18 Release name voting and Poll for whether to continue naming releases

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 06:34:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:00:58PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 04/19/2012 07:04 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >This cycle, the Board is also asking contributors to let us know if we
> >should continue to have release names for future Fedora releases.  Even
> >though the interface is the same, this portion is intended to be a poll
> >rather than a straight up vote.  The Fedora Board will look at the answers
> >to determine if enough contributors value continuing to create release names
> >to make it worthwhile in the future.  If it does seem desirable, the Board
> >will likely look into forming a working group to come up with a new method
> >for creating release names for future releases.
>
> It would be nice to have a third option:
> -Change release names to release theme.
>
> We don't really need a name (IMO), but the theme adds a nice touch.

What would that look like?

Scenario 1:

Fedora 21

The desktop wallpaper and other graphical elements have a common theme, for
instance, blackjack.

- I would say this would be a vote to stop using release names and let the
  design team decide how they want to theme the release

Scenario 2:

Fedora 21
The theme here is Las Vegas

Fedora 22
The theme here is Paris

Fedora 23
The theme here is Buenos Aires

- The overall theme for Fedora releases are cities and every release has
  a different one.  -- if we dont spell out the name in the release, I think
  this would be a vote to stop using release names and let the design team
  (and possibly ambassadors, docs, marketing) work out choosing new themes.
- If we do make the city chosen explicit its likely a vote to keep release
  names (although it might be debatable if it isn't actually named after
  those cities) and the idea of keeping a common theme would be discussed
  and chosen when we revamp the process.

Some other Scenario?

Originally we considered having three questions:

* keep release naming the way it is.
* Keep release names but change the process.
* Discard release names altogether.

After discussion in the Board meeting, it was decided to go with two
questions instead for the following reasons:

* Three questions with range voting was seen as hard to understand.
* Most people on the mailing list were against the current release naming
  procedure even if they were for some sort of release name

-Toshio