Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 14:04:18 UTC 2012

On 04/20/2012 09:52 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 11:55 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who doesn't see any improvement in this solution?
>
> I've said from the beginning that I think the best solution is to show a
> regular window, either just autostarting the installer or offering a
> 'install or just try uninstalled' choice. I'm not claiming that the
> notification is a fantastic solution.
>
> The improvement of the notification over the extension is that it
> doesn't break some of the basic shell design choices by forcing itself
> between the system status and the clock on the top panel.

There seems to be at least some consensus that:

* The notification, unless permanent, is not an ideal solution here
because once it goes away, the user is in the same situation of
confusion as to how to install the Live Image to disk.

* The extension as proposed is not an ideal solution because it is too
intrusive a change on the GNOME Shell design that the Live Image is
demonstrating.

* Autostarting anaconda at startup is not an ideal solution because
there are many valid use-cases for the Live Image where this would not
be wanted, and also, if the new user closes it, they will have the same
difficulty launching it again later when they are ready.

* Launching a "install or try it uninstalled" merely masks the issue,
because when the user selects "try it uninstalled", they have the same
difficulty finding the installer again later when they are ready.

****

Would it be possible to design an extension that has a minimal impact on
the GNOME Shell design and still provides a clear, persistent, and
obvious way to install the Live Image to disk?

~tom

==
Fedora Project