Fedora 18 Release name voting and Poll for whether to continue naming releases

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Fri Apr 20 14:09:21 UTC 2012

On 04/19/2012 08:04 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> This cycle, the Board is also asking contributors to let us know if we
> should continue to have release names for future Fedora releases.  Even
> though the interface is the same, this portion is intended to be a poll
> rather than a straight up vote.  The Fedora Board will look at the answers
> to determine if enough contributors value continuing to create release names
> to make it worthwhile in the future.  If it does seem desirable, the Board
> will likely look into forming a working group to come up with a new method
> for creating release names for future releases.

I think that we've run into the 'pet vs. cattle' dilemma, where the
usefulness of meaningful/cute naming gets beaten down by quantity of
objects we're dealing with. We encountered the same problem regarding
naming files and then directories and computers a while ago.

It doesn't help to remember that we had a Zod release---all I can say
about it is that it was long ago but I can't anchor it in sequence of
releases without looking up the history of release names:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Fedora_release_names

Android (and Debian I think) use names that have a built-in alphabetic
ordering (Gingerbread->Honeycomb->IceCreamSandwich). Debian numerical
scheme of 'year.month' is very pedestrian but actually my favorite
because it is most useful when one needs to place things in historical
context (which kernel or which version of Gnome did it use, etc.)