Testing packages with mock and Xnest?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:46:44 UTC 2012

I've occasionally wanted to test a packages built for another release
of Fedora and didn't really care to setup a bare metal or VM to do it.

I've found I can use mock (or probably any other chroot
program/helper) and Xnest to do this.

Is there any interest in putting this in the Fedora wiki somewhere? Am
I late to the party and everyone already knows how to do this?

Short example:
$ mock -r fedora-rawhide-x86_64 --init
$ mock -r fedora-rawhide-x86_64 --install xclock
$ Xnest :1 -ac &
$ mock -r fedora-rawhide-x86_64 --shell
[mock] $ xclock -display :1

Wah-lah!

I also sometimes do this (without the Xnest part) for new library
packages in order to run rpmlint against the installed package. This
catches things like "undefined-non-weak-symbols" or something like
that and a few others that it can't catch from the package alone.

Thanks,
Richard