GPT

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sun Apr 22 18:23:55 UTC 2012

> Is there a compelling reason to want GPT?  The format itself is better
> than MBR, but unless I required (a) disk > 2TB or (b) lots of primary
> partitions, I wouldn't worry ...

GPT is more robust in some ways.  GPT keeps a redundant copy of its info:
at the far end as well as at the beginning.  [To "erase" a GPT requires
zeroing out both copies.]  GPT info has a checksum which aids detection
of inadvertent changes.  Each partition can be accessed in only two seeks
(GPT then destination) as opposed to searching a linked list (1 seek per
link after the first 4); reading fewer blocks lowers exposure to
media errors.