GPT

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Apr 22 21:39:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 20:04 +0300, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2012 6:35 PM, "Chris Murphy" <lists at colorremedies.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 22, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> >
> >> I just tried to do a fresh installation with the F17 Beta
> Installation DVD (x86_64). On the partitions stage I chose to use all
> space, discarding all preexisting partitions, but it creates an msdos
> partition table instead of gpt.
> >>
> >> Is something changed on the default anaconda configuration since
> F16?
> >>

> > What hardware do you have? It may be gpt blacklisted. I can't
> reproduce your results, even starting out with a disk that's MBR using
> "All Space" flips it to GPT.
>
> It's a lenovo thinkpad (edge). I remember a bug about some thinkpad
> models having problem with gpt, but it would seem to me as an extreme
> action if all lenovo models were blacklisted.

They are, because lots of them are known to be broken.

> Gpt was working just fine on F16 on the same hardware.

GPT was in fact blacklisted for Thinkpads in F16. We blacklisted it for
F16, disabled the blacklist for a while with F17, but enabled it again
before Beta. If you got a GPT install from F16 you must either have done
your install before we instituted the blacklist, installed with a 2TB+
drive present (in which case the blacklist is overridden), installed
native EFI (ditto), or the 16 blacklist must have somehow not hit your
model while the 17 one does.

> I'm wondering if there is a grub option to force gpt for anaconda.

I'm not sure, but try 'gpt' maybe? I know 'nogpt' exists but I don't
know if there's a parameter to override the blacklist.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey