GitHub is a terrible upstream

Andy Grover agrover at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 18:49:47 UTC 2012

On 04/23/2012 10:48 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 10:37 -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
>
>> "wget --content-disposition https://github.com/$user/$project/tarball/$tag"
>>
>> lets you download a tarball named $user-$project-$tag-0-$gitsha1.tar.gz.
>> That saves the maintainer from having to document how to generate the
>> tarball, in exchange for dealing with a tarball name that contains
>> random content (the sha1). The path of files in the tarball also
>> contains the sha1.
>>
>> Even so, this still seems preferable to me than making packagers
>> generate the tarball each time and document the process, which seems
>> very prone to error.
>
> Yup, if that's reliable, it's certainly superior. Thanks!

Here's what I've come up with so far for a pkg I'm working on. This is
to deal with the resulting source file name not matching the %{source}
URL when using --content-disposition:

Name:           python-symmetric-jsonrpc
Version:        0.1
Release:        1%{?dist}
Source:
https://github.com/niligulmohar/%{name}/tarball/release-%{version}
# using wget --content-disposition %{source} yields this filename:
Source1:        niligulmohar-%{name}-release-%{version}-0-g0599f28.tar.gz

%prep
%setup -q -T -b 1 -n niligulmohar-%{name}-06189d9

Any further recommendations?

Thanks -- Andy

p.s. tried editing the wiki but didn't have privs, so may need to defer
to an admin once we figure out the best github hack^Wprocedure.