Fedora 18 Release name voting and Poll for whether to continue naming releases

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:59:19 UTC 2012

On 23 April 2012 14:06, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm not against release names because some people are supposed to have
> been offended by the words 'Beefy Miracle'

I don't know about offended, it just sounds silly. Maybe it's a UK/US
thing, or that it started as a RedHat in-joke, but to this
British-English speaker 'Beefy Miracle' sounds like a derogatory term
for a body builder, or perhaps an unsuccessful boxer.

Suggestion: F18 should also have a ridiculous name, this way F19 can't
and after that no two consecutive Fedora releases could have rubbish
names in future.

More practically, the problem with names in Fedora is that they're
selected and voted on with little connection to anything else, for all
the other code-name systems mentioned the name is chosen by fiat.
There may be some development team involvement, but not the openness
of inviting the entire Fedora community to suggest and vote, which
will throw up the occasional absurdity due to the small group of
people who care enough to vote. Maybe selection could be limited to
the design team as the name has the largest impact on their activities
and they may be more motivated to be thoughtful about it.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk